I am a late bloomer to the Baltimore water taxi service that boats tourists and commuters alike around the Inner Harbor. I have been taking the taxi from the Maritime Museum by the Living Classroom Foundation (Hey Analeigh!) in Fells Point, across to the Tide Point stop in Locust Point to visit girlfriends. What a lovely service. Not only is that particular route F-R-E-E, that’s right $0!, from 7am-7pm but it is a breezy and super quick way to get around town. And the older men who captain the ships are adorable and talkative (one senior captain told me about the hallucinations he had on Demerol after a recent surgery) I must say I will be using the Water Taxi as my personal chauffer quite frequently!
Friday, August 27, 2010
I am currently packing my suitcase for a 5-day excursion to the island of St Martin with seven of the most fabulous ladies I know. In my opinion there are some absolute MUST HAVES for any island getaway:
- Bathing Suit- The skimpier the better, and don't forget to pack both a bandeau and triangle top to reduce tan lines.
- Cover Up- Preferably cotton jersey or terry-cloth for maximum absorbency, but a breathable loose woven polyester works too.
- Loose Jersey Dresses- Jersey packs the easiest, can go from day to night, and require little to no maintenance once you arrive at your final destination.
- Linen Pants- Now these can be tricky if you don't have access to an iron to get rid of creases left from packing, but most resorts provide this simple amenity, and what says warm weather better then linen?
- Thongs- This is a no brainer, for ANY trip, panty lines are bleh!!! Don't forget nude if you're bringing white.
- Work Out Gear- To keep that beach sexy bikini bod you worked so hard for pre-trip.
- Wedges- Heels that can go anywhere, even in my opinion, to a sandy beach bar.
- Sandals- Flip flops for beach and a flat strappy pair for walking around town.
- Toiletries- Including hair oil, after sun lotion, razors, face moisturizer, you get the gist...
- Make Up- Make up should be kept to a minimum. Safe sunbathing creates a beautiful glow, so try to keep it to bronzer, blush, eyelash curler and waterproof mascara.
- Sunscreen- No one wants to be seen with a skin damaged lobster. At least SPF 30!
- Micellaneous- Sunglasses, Hat, Camera, Book for beach reading, Passport
These are the staples, obviously some fillers are needed such as tank tops, various undergarments, belts, etc... See my bag below, and pictures of the amazing villa I'll be staying in.
This fun and spunky photo shoot of Emma Watson in the Spring/Summer 2009 issue of Vs Magazine gives a bright insight into her youthful personality. Shot by Ellen Von Unwerth, known for her high fashion spreads, the shoot captures the Harry Potter star's beauty and grace as she is evolving into a sophisticated adult and British style maven.
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
This incredibly chic Parisian line is perfect for Fall 2010. The fashion house was founded in 1945 by Madame Carven and has continuously reinvented itself throughout past decades. While fashions have evolved, Carven has remained a stylish and refined pillar in the fashion community. See the Fall 2010 ad campaign below:
I first saw the brand while I was across the pond this summer, materialized in a wool A-line camel skirt, used in a spread in the British Vogue August 2010 issue and have been searching for Carven ever since. I went searching through Manchester and London and only found it in Harvey Nichols. After doing a little research I also found it available, for Stateside fashion enthusiasts, via Net-A-Porter.
Carven website http://www.carven.fr/#
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
This downtown establishment is one of my favorite spots to go out to in Baltimore! Situated on South Bond Street, just off the beaten path from the heart of Fells Point, One-Eyed Mike’s is a tavern worth exploring. Not only is the menu delicious and the bartenders super friendly, but the bar doubles as a Grand Marnier Club. My boyfriend and I are members, as well as many of our close friends.
Here’s how it works:
1. Buy your first bottle of GM, which is an initial $150
2. Fill out your “membership card”, which includes your membership #, password, secret question and various personal information
3. Receive your very own spot on the wall & a special GM pin to show your support
4. Enjoy bottle every visit!
**Each additional bottle purchased is at a discount, $75/bottle (total steal!)
Monday, August 23, 2010
Annapolis- so quaint and scenic. I was there this past weekend with my boyfriend (who played in the MLL championship @ Navy Marine Corp stadium and WON!!!) and was able to walk around and enjoy the scenery. Although the reason for the trip was purely professional lacrosse, I couldn’t resist a visit to the adorable boutique Horse on West St… Brands sold include Twelfth St by Cynthia Vincent, Milly and Citizens of Humanity jeans. Here are a few pics from the trip.
Tsunami Contact Info:
I stumbled upon these beautiful images from Italian Vogue’s Spring 2007 issue, aptly named “Vogue Patterns”. Scroll through the whole slideshow for an eye-catching and stimulating fashion spread by photographer Steven Meisel, stylist Edward Enninful, Hair Guido and make up by Pat McGrath. Although several years old, many of the patterns are still current and definitely make an impact.